The move from primary education to secondary education is a very significant event in every child’s life and we are committed at St Catherine’s to ensuring that the transition is as smooth as possible and that the students settle into life at St Catherine’s quickly and happily. In order to ensure that this happens a number of things will happen between the offer letters being sent out in March and students finally joining us at the start of September.
We will :
- Send a member of your daughter’s new Year Team (Senior Leader, Year Leader or PLC) will visit your daughter at her primary school in order to find out a little bit more about her and answer any questions that she may have.
- Invite your daughter into school for the Year 6 Induction Day, where she have an assembly with the Head Teacher, attend a number of different lessons, experience break and lunch time and have the opportunity to meet some of the other new students who will be joining her in September.
- Send you a pack of information which will provide you with some valuable information prior to your daughter arriving in September.
- Invite you to a meeting for new parents at the beginning of July, where our Head Teacher will talk to you about a number of areas of life at St Catherine’s alongside the Year Leader for Year 7 and hopefully answer a number of the questions that you may have.
- Invite the Year 6 students to attend the same new parents meeting so that they can meet their new Form Leader, find out what House they are in and get to know the other students in their Form.
We know that the transition process is not complete as soon as they arrive at St Catherine’s and so we will continue to work on building our new relationship with your daughter and you as a parent. In the first few weeks:
- Your daughter’s first day will kept short and she will arrive before the rest of the school join us for the start of term, so that she is not overwhelmed by the numbers of people and has the opportunity to get used to the surroundings and find her way around.
- You will be invited to attend the Year 7 Welcome Mass one afternoon
- The students will have their own form Retreat Day which will take place in school led by their Form Leader and Catherine our Chaplain.
- You will be invited to the Year 7 Academic Review Day (usually in mid October) where you will be able to discuss with your daughter’s Form Leader, Year Leader or a member of the Senior Team how she has settled in so far and what progress she is making.
We will continue to create opportunities throughout the year to ensure that your daughter is safe, happy and achieving at St Catherine’s and look forward to building a strong relationship with both her and you as her parents.